Apr 2016

British GT Brands Hatch


A points finish in the first round was a fantastic result for PFL Motorsport, a brand new team who are also new to GT racing. We tried to get some track time during the two hour session on Friday afternoon but it was pretty much washed out on a wet gloomy day and we only managed a few laps. The weather on Saturday was much brighter, so we could get to work on setup and giving Pete more track time. Considering having very little time in the car (or any GT car) he's improving rapidly and was quickly getting to grips with the daunting Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit. We had a few issues with the car bottoming out, but race pace was good and we were all set for qualifying. Peter put in a good lap for his qualifying session but I was delayed getting out for my qualifying session. I would have time for two flying laps which should be enough. However I started my first flying lap to find a yellow flag out at Druids, which stayed out to the end of the session, meaning I had to take it easy in sector one. I still managed to qualify P7 in my session and we would start P13 on the grid. The sun finally came out for race day, and our practice pit stop in the warm up went well. Due to Peter's disability, he finds it difficult to get out of the car, so I have to help him which mainly involves me yanking him out of the car as quickly as I can. In spite of this, we have the pit stop times down to a point where we're only losing a few seconds. Peter made a good start and was lapping consistently in P13 when a full course yellow was imposed due to an incident on the Grand Prix loop. As a result of barrier damage, this went on well into and beyond the pit window. My stint started under the full course yellow and I passed the time by chatting on the radio waiting for the restart - there wasn't much else to do! We finally got the green flag to restart and I found myself stuck behind the Optimum Audi. The car was understeering badly and I assumed it was the Audi taking aero off the front of the car. I got past after a few laps and immediately lapped two seconds faster but the understeer problem didn't go away which made life very difficult. I managed to catch and pass Martin Short into P8 before the red flag came out to bring an end to proceedings. A really good performance by all the guys in the team in our first race weekend, so looking forwards to Rockingham in two weeks time.